I never need to cook a meal, EVER in Thailand. I could buy 3 meals a day at restaurants in my street and it would cost me in total no more than 60 baht (around 1 pound!).
So let me introduce you to two of my very own favourite locals.
Features of sneezing restaurant:
- you are guaranteed to sneeze every time you go there, due to peppery things that are being cooked (presumably!?)
- when you put cold drinks in the plastic cups you get what I like to call the 'phenomenon of the dry-ice smoke-cup effect' (catchy!)
- when the restaurant is closed the tin roof folds down to become a door!
- The extreme amounts of MSG in the food make it very yummy!
- the lady who makes the food (called 'MSG lady') is very friendly.
- I do not have to order - I just go in and sit down, and MSG lady sees me and says 'your usual?' and starts getting it for me!
- Me and my Chinese housemates call this our 'second home' - going there is like walking into our own home!
- It is totally acceptable (in fact normal!) to just take your own plate over and get her to fill it up, then take it back home (just across the road) to eat! I LOVE that feature!